Dentures are removable false teeth which can be made from acrylic, metal or nylon. They are made to fit over the gums to replace any missing teeth within the mouth and prevent issues which can be caused by the gaps, which can affect things such as a persons bite, their gums and even their confidence due to the appearance of a ‘gappy’ mouth.
If there is a gap within the teeth there is a couple of options available to patients. Not only do we provide specialist dental implant surgery and treatments here at Camden Place Dentist Preston, we can also give our patients the option of dentures to help relieve these issues. These can be either:
- Partial dentures – to replace just one or a few missing teeth in the mouth.
- Complete dentures – a full set of dentures to replace all your upper or lower teeth in the mouth.
In society there has been known to be a slight stigma associated with having a denture or dentures, and we would always advise to have dental implants over this due to the potential problem of retention caused by shrinkage of the gums. There is the possibility to reduce the health and strength of the existing teeth through the use of a denture. However, they are a fantastic way of helping with the issue, but they do not provide a resolution for those trying to solve the issue entirely.
Dentures – Why Have Them?
Dentures are just on of the treatments available to help to prevent problems associated with gaps in the teeth such as eating and speech issues. Dentures can also help to improve the overall appearance of the mouth, acting as a cosmetic treatment as well, making the mouth have an enhanced cosmetic look. This can not only help improve the health of the mouth overall, but it can also give those people wearing the denture confidence to not hide their mouths and their smiles. This treatment will also help patients to be able to eat and chew a number of foods. We at Camden Place can arrange for a free denture consultation at our Preston city centre clinic to discuss this option with you.
Why dentures might not be for you…
- You are lacking bone in the mouth or jaw, of which would cause your denture to be loose or unstable in the mouth.
- You have a strong gag reflex, which could be triggered or aggravated by using a denture.
- You have decaying teeth, which are on the verge of falling out, meaning your denture could be unstable and would put pressure on them.
- You have gum disease and it is affecting all your teeth.
- You have previously worn a denture and have diminished oral sensation because of it’s use.
- You do not want to wear a denture due to the cosmetic impact it could have, and general stigma about having dentures.
Patients who already wear a denture, or have dentures, who need some stability to their denture can opt to have dental implants placed instead or as well as the denture, which will provide the denture with much needed retention. However, there is also the option for patients to replace a denture entirely.
If you have any questions regarding dental implants, full or partial dentures or anything else then please do not hesitate to get in touch with our friendly and professional team at Camden Place Dental Practice, Preston. You can book your FREE consultation with our dental implant specialists by calling 01772 556050.